Request a demo
Project management for growth and agile marketing professionals. Map your acquisition funnel, integrate analytics and run agile experiments.
Recent experiments results include competitor SEO, AI-driven content, exit-intent modals and AB testing homepage headlines.
"We are on-track to deliver a 43% increase in inbound leads this year. There is no doubt the adoption of Growth Method is the primary driver behind these results."
We are vetted mentors with Growth Mentor and a partner with the Agile Marketing Alliance.
Looking for a CMO survey or report? We’ve pulled together all of the top CMO survey reports and studies from all of the well-known consulting and research firms, all in one place.
Conducted twice a year since 2008 by Duke University’s Christine Moorman, along with a number of sponsor partners (currently Deloitte), and now in its 29th Edition, the CMO Survey is one of the most recognised of the CMO surveys.
The report covers priorities and plans around marketing staffing, budgeting, areas of investment.
The CMO Survey collects and disseminates the opinions of marketing leaders in order to predict the future of markets, track marketing excellence, and improve the value of marketing in organizations and in society. Founded in 2008, it is the longest running non-commercial survey for and about the field of marketing.https://cmosurvey.org/
Survey includes 3 main reports:
- Customers and channels
- Marketing spending
- Managing digital marketing returns
- Marketing jobs
- Marketing analytics
- Marketing performance
- Marketing leadership
Whilst the CMO Survey (above) is focused on the US, The Leadership Institute at London Business School has been the partner for the UK Survey for the last 2 years.
This second Edition of The CMO Survey UK provides the marketing profession with an understanding of how marketing activities, spending, jobs, and performance have been influenced by the continued impact of the pandemic and Brexit over the past year, as well as marketing leaders’ response to the climate crisis. As it did last year, the UK Edition also provides a comparison to the study of U.S. marketing leaders that has been running bi-annually since 2008The CMO Survey UK
UK Survey includes 2 reports:
A large number of survey participants are from the following organisations: CMO Growth Council, Deloitte, ISBA, Marketing Week, The Chartered Institute of Marketing, The Marketing Society, tml Partners, and Walpole.
The PwC Pulse survey is conducted across across over 700 US executives across finance, human resources, risk, operations, technology and marketing. Respondents are from public and private companies across various sectors.
Although the survey targets a wide range of business executives, CMOs and marketing leaders account for approximately 13% of responses (91 individuals) and the CMO findings are presented separately.
“Our latest PwC Pulse Survey, fielded August 1 to August 5, 2022, surveyed 722 executives and board members from Fortune 1000 and private companies about the current business environment, the risks executives are facing and the impact those risks have on company strategy and growth plans. Of the respondent pool, 91 are CMOs.”https://www.pwc.com/us/en/library/pulse-survey/managing-business-risks/cmo.html
Insights and reports include PwC and PwC sponsored content:
- CMO and Marketing Leaders findings
- Managing business risks.pdf
In 2022 the PwC report is based on CMO interviews and a survey of a panel of 77 UK CMOs.
We couldn’t find original data from the The PwC CMO Survey but a number of insights are shared:
The annual Gartner CMO spend and strategy survey provides an annual snapshot of marketing’s budgets, spending and strategic priorities.
The CMO Spend Survey is an annual survey to understand the marketing organisation’s strategic priorities and budget allocations every year. In 2022, the research was conducted online among 405 respondents, who were required to have involvement in decisions pertaining to setting or influencing marketing strategy and planning, as well as have involvement in aligning marketing budget/resources. Seventy-four percent of the respondents came from organizations with $1 billion or more in annual revenue. The respondents came from a variety of industries: financial services, tech products, manufacturing and consumer products to name a few.Gartner
The CMO Spend & Strategy Survey 2023 is due for release on the 6th June, for initial insights read the press release here.
Unlike the above this is a survey of B2C not B2B CMOs. The most recent was the Q3 2022 survey.
“A cross-industry survey among 153 US B2C marketing executives, VP and above, at brands with at least 500 employees.”Forrester
Reports and insights:
CMO Survey Database
You can access our complete CMO Survey database which is hosted in Airtable below. We are continuing to add to it over time.
The CMO Survey (US)
- Background: Founded in 2008, it is the longest running non-commercial survey for and about the field of marketing. Responses from 320 senior marketing execs in 2022. More info at https://www.slideshare.net/christinemoorman/the-cmo-survey-highlights-and-insights-report-september-2022.
- Who: Duke University, Deloitte & The American Marketing Association (AMA)
- Website: https://cmosurvey.org/
- Participants: Senior marketing leader in a for-profit U.S. company. 273 participants. 95.6% of respondents at VP-level or above. Mix of B2B Product, B2C Product, B2B Services and B2C Services. Majority (68.4%) B2B.
- Results: https://cmosurvey.org/results/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/thecmosurvey/
The CMO Survey (UK)
- Background: The CMO Survey® has established itself as a leading voice and provider of valuable insights in the U.S. The Leadership Institute at London Business School is excited to continue as the partner for the UK Survey and to share with you the 2022 reports. More info at https://www.slideshare.net/christinemoorman/the-cmo-survey-highlights-and-insights-report-september-2022.
- Who: London Business School
- Website: https://www.london.edu/faculty-and-research/leadership-institute/cmo-survey
- Participants: 118 respondants. 96.6% of respondents are VP-level or above, with a large majority holding the title of CMO, Head of Marketing, or Marketing Director.
- Results: https://www.london.edu/-/media/files/faculty-and-research/the_cmo_survey_uk-topline_report-february_2022.pdf
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/thecmosurvey/
Gartner CMO Spend and Strategy Survey
- Background: https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/gartner-survey-reveals-marketing-budgets-have-increased-to-9-5–
- Website: https://www.gartner.com/en/marketing/research/annual-cmo-spend-survey-research
- Participants: 405 CMOs and other marketing leaders in North America, as well as Northern and Western Europe across different industries, company sizes and revenue, with the majority of respondents reporting annual revenue of more than $1 billion.
- Results: https://emtemp.gcom.cloud/ngw/globalassets/en/marketing/documents/marketing_budgets_2022research.pdf
PwC Pulse Survey
- Background: The PwC Pulse survey is conducted across across over 700 US executives across finance, human resources, risk, operations, technology and marketing. Respondents are from public and private companies across various sectors. CMOs and marketing leaders account for approximately 13% of responses (91 individuals).
- Who: PWC
- Website: https://www.pwc.com/us/en/library/pulse-survey.html
- Participants: PwC CMO survey, based on CMO interviews, and a survey of a panel of 77 UK CMOs. July 2022.
- Results: https://www.pwc.com/us/en/library/pulse-survey/managing-business-risks/cmo.html
PwC CMO Study
- Who: PWC
- Website: https://www.pwc.co.uk/issues/transformation/customer/cmo-study.html
- Participants: In 2022 the PwC CMO Survey is based on CMO interviews and a survey of a panel of 77 UK CMOs.
- Results: https://www.pwc.co.uk/issues/transformation/customer/cmo-study.html
The Savvy CMO Survey
- Background: To better understand how organizations are addressing privacy issues, we polled 200 of CMOs in both the U.S. & UK. The CMOs surveyed work at organizations with a minimum global revenue of $100M (£83M) and an annual marketing budget of at least $10M (£8.3M).
- Who: Credera
- Website: https://www.credera.com/insights/the-savvy-cmo-survey-part-1-data-privacy-dilemmas-and-remedies
- Results: https://www.credera.com/insights/the-savvy-cmo-survey-part-1-data-privacy-dilemmas-and-remedies
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/credera/
Dentsu CMO Navigator
- Who: Dentsu
- Website: https://www.dentsu.com/us/en/cmo-navigator
- Results: https://www.dentsucreative.com/news/cmo-survey
Iterable CMO Survey
- Background: we spoke to those at the helm of marketing organizations: CMOs. In March, we interviewed 500 CMOs in the US and U.K., from brands of different industries, sizes, and business types to discover what channels, programs, and resources are needed to stay competitive while maintaining efficiency.
- Who: Iterable
- Website: https://iterable.com/blog/cmo-survey-2022-the-changing-customer/
Forbes CMO Practice and Neustar
- Background: A recent Forbes CMO Practice and Neustar study of 800 marketing executives revealed some surprising insights.
- Who: Forbes & Neustar
- Website: https://www.home.neustar/resources/whitepapers/cmo-survey-marketing-performance-measurement-report
- Results: https://ns-cdn.neustar.biz/creative_services/biz/neustar/www/resources/whitepapers/marketing/accelerating-growth-through-marketing-performance-measurement-paper.pdf
Growth CMO Report
- Who: CMO Alliance
- Website: https://www.cmoalliance.com/growth-cmo-report-2022-23/
- Results: https://www.cmoalliance.com/growth-cmo-report-2022-23/
2022 CMO Survey
- Who: Chief Outsiders
- Results: https://www.chiefoutsiders.com/hubfs/2022%20CMO%20Survey%20Results.pdf
Forresters Marketing Survey
- Background: A cross-industry survey among 153 US B2C marketing executives, VP and above, at brands with at least 500 employees.
- Who: Forrester
- Website: https://www.forrester.com/blogs/a-path-to-growth-key-insights-and-2022-trends-for-b2b-cmos/
- Participants: A cross-industry survey among 153 US B2C marketing executives, VP and above, at brands with at least 500 employees.
About Growth Method
Growth Method is the growth platform designed for experiment-led and data-driven marketers.
Other articles you might like
Here are some related articles and further reading you may find helpful.