What makes a great growth marketing manager?
Good growth marketers typically have a wide base level of knowledge, covering everything from user and behavioural psychology to data and analytics, as well as a deeper knowledge in one or two areas well-suited to growth marketing.
You’ll likely have seen the increasingly popular T-Shaped Marketer framework, originally coined by David Guest. David describes the T Shaped Marketer as “someone who specialises in being a generalist but who also has one or 2 areas of expertise”. In essence, you want someone with a hybrid of skillsets – part developer, part designer, part marketer and part data analyst.
The growth marketing manager job description
A well-considered Growth Marketing Manager job description is critical to enticing the right individual to your organisation. We’ve analysed roles from hundreds of companies and selected some of the best below.
If you’re looking for more inspiration, our article on growth marketing manager job boards is a great place to start your search.
You’ll develop goals closely with the founders to create lead generation channels, use analytics tools and understand performance. This allows you to measure attribution, double down on what works and improve. We’re looking to you to bring the playbook with exceptional project management skills that span various levels and functions. This includes:
Run high-impact campaigns and experiments, from idea to execution
Forecast, measure, analyze, and report trends in data to obtain marketing and product insights on user behavior
Identify best-fit customers by segments, verticals using tools like Google Analytics, Google Ads, and Ahrefs
Leverage insights to drive experiments and growth (website/landing page views, free trials)
Utilize SEO and paid marketing to run targeted campaigns
Generate PQLs (Product Qualified Leads) through highly valuable content, self-serve documentation, and how-to’s for PLG (Product Led Growth)
Iteratively eliminate product onboarding friction and increase conversion rateshttps://speedscale.com/careers/
Develop and drive the marketing priorities, strategies, goals, objectives and tactics for the EMEA region to reach sales goals and KPIs
Identify the right mix of marketing channels, activities and programmes to support the achievement of monthly and quarterly pipeline goals
Work collaboratively with sales to develop marketing strategies and programs
Lead the execution of local marketing activity from digital to events and through direct and indirect channels
Identify local content to develop, write and spread in the market either with our content team, our PR manager or agencies to improve our awareness.
Stay on top of industry trends, technologies and new features in online advertising, making recommendations and launching new channels and campaigns where appropriate.
Support and manage a growing team, currently manage one direct report.https://onfido.com/careers/
Setting up our marketing automation tool (Hubspot), ensuring the maintenance of the platform and our database; exploiting its possibilities to the maximum for our lead generation, nurturing and ABM strategy, as well as all of its integration capabilities with the sales CRM (Salesforce).
Overseeing our paid channel strategy, working together with the Acquisition Coordinator, optimizing a dedicated budget and focusing on obtaining the best ROI possible with every new campaign.
Defining, owning and overseeing our global lead nurturing strategy, defining programs to streamline the movement of our users through the marketing funnel -using email marketing, chatbots, or other common B2B channels-, as well as developing nurturing plans for data enrichment and contact activation.
Creating value propositions and actionable messages. We need someone creative who can adapt value propositions to the marketing language and the user’s needs through different platforms (email, pop ups, chatbots, etc.)
Acting as an ally of the Brand Marketing and Sales team. Someone capable of defining processes and facilitating best practices that speed up the opening of opportunities from marketing.
Setting up team objectives, tracking KPIs, establishing processes and prioritizing team projects according to the impact that they have on the business/results.
Align with various teams across Launchmetrics to support the marketing contribution objectives, ABM global strategy, as well as new product launches.
Measure: Building a culture of performance and documentation across markets, creating tools for the team to autonomously run campaigns and measure results.https://careers.launchmetrics.com/
Own the customer journey down through the marketing pipeline
Define growth strategies and own our key growth metrics.
Lead our SEO efforts to promote our existing content and websites
Conceive, create and manage new user acquisition campaigns.
Own all paid ad programmes and ensure that all investments are delivering a desirable ROI.
Collaborate with content marketing to develop successful, content-driven acquisition campaigns.
Support field marketing in promoting and maximising revenue from both owned & third-party events.
Own our email marketing strategy and work with content to define plans for newsletter, transactional and lead nurture emails.
Explore new ways to reach our audiences and experiment with new acquisition channels.
Develop and execute Go-To-Market plans for new products and features.
Own analytics initiatives to measure the impact of all marketing activity.https://www.conduktor.io/jobs
Manage and scale our marketing channels, paying close attention to customer acquisition costs
Develop hypothesis-driven experiment roadmaps to unlock new strategies and channels
Own conversion rate optimization, exploring improvements across the full patient funnel
Lead the growth strategy for new Hey Jane products and services
Collaborate with product, operations, and brand marketing teams to surface and act on key growth opportunities
Build digestible reports that prove results and surface new insightshttps://jobs.lever.co/heyjane
Growth Marketing Manager Interview Questions
- Tell me about your current role, what do you like/dislike about it?
- What appeals to you about this role?
- Tell me about the most impressive accomplishment you’ve had at your company?
- Which growth marketers do you most respect and why?
- What new skills have you learned in the past 6 months?
- Tell me something interesting you’ve learned recently?
- What are your career goals?
- What is something you’re not great at but that you’re trying to improve? How are you trying to improve?
- Tell me about a tough problem you solved at your current company that nobody else could fix?
- Where do you read to keep up-to-date with news on marketing and growth?
- Which podcasts do you listen to? Which blogs do you follow?
- How have you invested in your own personal growth outside of your job?
Objectives & Metrics
- What are you/your team’s KPIs
- How are KPIs defined?
- How do you prioritise work?
- Based on your understand of the business, what would be a good North Star metric/OKR for our team?
- How do you think about input and output metrics when setting goals?
- Describe some of the popular prioritisation frameworks?
- What percentage of marketing budget spend should be measurable?
Process and Culture
- How do you gather qualitative and quantitative customer feedback?
- Tell me about a recent decision that you made based on data?
- What do you consider to be important traits of high performing growth teams?
- Name 3 important cognitive biases or psychology principles to consider when running a growth team?
- Describe compound interest as it relates to marketing
- Tell me about your favourite project you’ve worked on recently?
- Tell me about the most impressive results you’ve achieved from a marketing experiment?
- How do you think about lead generation from content marketing?
- Which acquisition channels do you have the most experience with?
- Describe how SEO works in as much detail as you can?
- Do you have a process for running A/B tests?
- Describe the importance of statistical significance in experiments
- How would you rate your HTML / CSS expertise?
Looking for more growth marketing manager roles?
Check out our article on Growth Marketing Job Boards.
P.S. Get monthly growth insights
Get links to the best growth marketing experiments run by our in-house team on the Growth Method platform.